A man with dulcet tones and brilliant intellect and a knack of conveying high brow themes and subjects to the common man, woman, and not so young child. In this episode of series 2 of his Podgram show, Stephen Fry explores the topic of language in his peculiar yet rational way.
For someone such as myself - who doesn't listen to much radio - I find it difficult to fully grasp and maintain focus on what is being discussed in podcasts without the aid of any visuals. I find that 'going back' and re-listening to parts of a podcast tends to destroy the flow and momentum of the broadcast. Yet I can quite easily flick back a page or two of a book for the purposes of plot affirmation or purely for pleasure without having 'the moment' tarnished too much. This is probably also the reason that I have been reluctant to jump onto audio-books. However there is much delight to be drawn from hearing Stephen Fry discuss a topic he is clearly passionate about and knowledgeable on.
A great accompaniment to this podcast is Stephen Fry's book and television series entitled Planet Word.
Stephen Fry's Podgrams - SE.2 EP.3 Language
Thanks for your comments Dean. Just think not so long ago we relied on audio as a main dissemination of information.
ReplyDeleteCould you please give the reader a more descriptive evaluation of this resource in terms of what it is about, how it is relative to your topic and what makes the author authoritative on this topic.
Hey Leanne
DeleteThanks. I posted this podcast as it relates to language in general however for the purposes of the assessment I have posted and commented on a more suitable and connected podcast for this blog just this morning.