Introduction

The Road to Read is an informative blog that focuses on technological advances in the assistance of childhood literacy and related issues.

Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Wiki's

Programs for Kids & Teens is an online wiki which is available by accessing the Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki and following the link under Programming. I chose this wiki because of its relevance to my topic of childhood literacy and learning. Not sure about other members of the class but I had real trouble deciphering what was a wiki page and what wasn't. I did find a couple of college links which I was able to log in to by simply clicking on the login tab and this automatically signed me in (through my DOE login, I assume). Despite not being too familiar with wiki's I agree with the description given by Meredith Gorran Farkas of Norwich University in here slideshow, Wiki: A Beginners Look. In this article she points out that wiki's feature 'simple syntax' and one of the benefits and downfalls of wiki's is that anyone can make changes. Of course you can establish a wiki so that potential users must sign up with details in order to make changes which decreases the chances somewhat of vandalism and spam. I did notice just while looking at a Claremont College wiki that I was able to sign in using my Department of Education access and make changes to that wiki if I chose to.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughtful comments. Thanks too for slideshow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the design of this blog and the creative funny photos. But these make the blog interesting and appealing for the reader. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete